Monday, June 30, 2008

'Hypocrisy is the Greatest Luxury'

Any group or musician that tackles societal or political issues pretty much loses my interest quickly. I mean, people can do what they want and if that includes singing and playing an instrument railing against McDonalds and Coke, then fine.

I probably won't buy in. Not that I'm an unaware, uncaring dufus. I grew up with my mother's folk records like the Kingston Trio, Smothers Brothers and others who protested the Vietnam War with much aplomb, and I respect that. There was a target and they aimed at it.

I guess it's the scattershooting I abhor. Basically, that's the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy standard operating procedure. It's not bad music as much as the message that the "TV and consumerism are evil" seems misguided and without focus. It's like trying to catch fish by drinking all the water out of lake. Fruitless. Of course, so is singing "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" But at least the message was clear: "War sucks. Stop doing it."

The Heroes' message is: quit eating hamburgers and listening to what they want you to hear. Or not, but just realize you're a pawn in game where no one wins. But I don't know what the normal guy making an OK living as a trashman really cares if the government is a bunch of white dudes forcing their religion on people.

No comments: