Thursday, March 15, 2012

'Salò' & '120 Days Of Sodom'

Is it weird that neither the film nor book made me bat an eye?

This all should horrify me, but it doesn't and I think it's because it's so blatantly insane and over the top. Still, I'd never let my daughter or mom read the book or watch the film.

I also suspect I've been numbed by so much violence and sex over the years and it doesn't really matter. The only way to go is more graphic and more insane. And there's probably a tiny part of my brain that likes all of this.

The film is considered one of the most controversial films in history showing an unparalleled amount of sadism, nudity, graphic sexual encounters and the eating of feces. All of it happening to mere children.

Still, it's 1/20th of what the book recounts as the old prostitutes tell the gathering about their past exploits for 500 pages as it goes from highly illicit fornication, torture and eventually murder. The difference between the book and film is the level and total amount of adventures, but what the film lacks in quantity it makes up for the wicked nature and emotion from the four libertines as they almost revel in the final scene of hangings, tortures and scalpings.

No comments: