Sunday, April 1, 2012

'The Return Of The Native'

I think one of the most interesting things to do is read books or poets or watch movies that are mentioned in other books and movies.

Knowing what characters in a fictional (or even nonfictional) like to read or watch is a really underrated way of getting to know that character. I mean, isn't that how we judge our friends and coworkers? Why shouldn't we judge Holden Caulfield the same way?

In The Catcher in the Rye, Caulfield, the novel's protagonist/whiner, lays down some literary criticism, free of charge:

"You take that book Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maughham, though. I read it last summer. It's a pretty good book and all, but I wouldn't want to call Somerset Maugham up. I don't know, he just isn't the kind of guy I'd want to call up, that's all. I'd rather call old Thomas Hardy up. I like that Eustacia Vye."

I like that arguably the only reason that Holden Caulfield wants to talk to Thomas Hardy was because he created Eustacia Vye, the main protagonist of The Return of the Native, who winds up marrying Clym after leaving Wildeve. She becomes dissatisfied with Clym after he goes nearly blind and becomes a furze cutter. She winds up drowning herself.

Clearly, there's a common thread between Caulfield and Vye: Both are dissatisfied and looking for some sort of happiness that's eluding them and the people that could be providing that support and love (Sally Hayes, Mr. Antolini, Wildeve, Clym). In fact, these people are blatantly cast aside. Holden and Eustacia are just lost causes. Sinking ships. Of course, Holden liked Eustacia: They would have been brilliant self-destructive lovers.

Now, I really feel I need to read Of Human Bondage, just to see what Caulfield doesn't like.


No comments: