Tuesday, December 18, 2012

'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water'

A long time ago I was in college. I'd almost always take morning classes in order to have my afternoons pretty free to do whatever I felt like doing.

Oddly, I found myself watching MTV's "Total Request Live" with host Carson Daly as  they rambled through the "top 10" music videos per viewers who were able to vote.

This is not as exciting as it seems. It was essentially the same seven to 15 musical acts, some of which were re-voted every day and they rarely even played the whole song.

A truncated list of the groups featured almost always pop princesses Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, boy bands The Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and "rockers" like Korn, Kid Rock and, naturally, Limp Bizkit.

I don't know the day the music died, but I surmise that the time between 1998 and 2001 was the lowest point in recorded American music in its brief history.

I could probably find a more vacant and asinine musical group than Limp Bizkit, but would it even be worth the search. Isn't Limp Bizkit the closest we will come to the gutter of American art? If it isn't, it's damn close and that's OK with me.

I don't understand the appeal. It's sanctimonious doofus rock oozing with masochistic overtones. Limp Bizkit and most popular rock bands of that time period and ilk were basically a series of apes pounding their chests. There is nothing of value here.

No comments: