Tuesday, December 3, 2013

'Harvest'

 Harvest put Neil Young on the map probably despite his best efforts. Although I truly feel sorry for public figures that put their privacy on the line in exchange for sharing their talents, it’s hard to understand Young playing in Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills and Nash and then releasing three relatively popular solo albums and not expecting some recognition.

Young was taken aback at the popularity that Harvest brought. It topped the Billboard 200 for two weeks. I guess since it’s impossible for me to have it both ways, I don’t comprehend someone else having it both ways.

Harvest came to fruition after Young appeared on The Johnny Cash Show (a show that concerned itself little with what was popular, but instead what Johnny Cash wanted to do inviting all sorts of country and folk acts), which also featured Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor. Afterwards, Young invited the duo to his barn studio to record.

Although probably his most popular album, I care little for Harvest. I think his hits – “Heart of Gold” and “Old Man” – are some of his most boring songs.


No comments: