Tuesday, January 7, 2014

'The Last Temptation Of Christ'

I cover high school football for a local daily newspaper. I often arrive at the game really early to make sure that all my equipment is working and that I'm assured a seat. I also often bring a book to read because I'm more often than not sitting there because all is well.

I took The Last Temptation of Christ one night and while reading I was accosted by, of all people, an advance scout from a high school that was preparing to play one of the teams I was covering.

He asked me about a dozen questions. I thought maybe he recognized the title (maybe) although he asked me what I was reading. A lot of the questions had to do with what I thought of the book and my opinions of what was on the pages.

I thought maybe he was asking because the book (and the 1988 Martin Scorsese) has been a topic of controversy because of its depiction of Jesus ... as an ordinary guy despite being ordained by God to be the messiah.

I can't recommend this book enough. Apart from the actual story, it's a rich, textural history of the time providing some revealing cultural discussion points when you consider the times in which Christ lived.

For one, Jesus (or the messiah) was not only expected to be the Son of God, the lamb slain for the sins of man into perpetuity. He was supposed to overthrow the Roman government occupying Judea (and the rest of the world). Not an easy task, even for the Son of God.

What fundamentalist Christians got most angry about was this milquetoast Jesus being depicted. He was forlorn, doubtful and amid great terror in his private moments (in the book, at least, Jesus publicly turned into sort of a badass). As if he weren't human.

Christians want to believe that Christ was sermonizing in the Temple from birth and took to the highway and byways at some young age. In actuality, he was a carpenter's son and he too plied his craft (in the book, he is vilified for making crosses for executions) until the voice of God took him elsewhere.

It's an interesting read and no matter your religious affiliation it is a must-read.

No comments: