Wednesday, April 22, 2009

'Illmatic'

I was listening to this album in my office and my co-worker was disgusted that many consider Nas the best MC of all time.

I noted that I didn't know anyone who thought Nas was the best MC of all time.

He said they existed.

Then I really thought about it and concluded that ranking MCs is silly because it's purely subjective. I mean, you can make a reasonable argument that The Beatles were the greatest band of all time. You can consider No. 1 hits, sales, the breadth of their image and names, and consider the music itself.

Ranking MCs is solely objective. You either like a guy or you don't like a guy. Being as unreasonable to say that Snoop Dogg is the greatest MC of all time is equal to saying he isn't the greatest MC of all time.

People get to wrapped up in rankings.

No comments: