Monday, October 5, 2009

'Honky Tonk Masquerade'

I purchased this record about three months ago and listened to it and was underwhelmed.

About three weeks ago, I watched the Townes Van Zandt documentary "Be Here To Love Me," which featured one short interview clip from Joe Ely.

So I gave the album another listen.

It's good. I don't know if it's really good. Some say it's one of the best country-rock records ever. Some say it's one of the best 1970s rock records. According to Wikipedia, some dude from New Zealand noted it as a top 10 record of the rock era.

Seriously? It has a handful of really good songs. A couple of OK songs and some boring tunes. And I really love country music. I was born to love this album, but I really can't.

I might buy it for my brother for Christmas, though. See what he thinks.

No comments: