Friday, November 20, 2009

'The Seventh Seal'


A mesmerizing film. Haunting and memorable. I can't find any better adjectives for a film.

Ingmar Bergman is a superior director and storyteller. I really can't say enough about this film. It's so good that I'm apt to purchase it at some point.

I would if I wasn't so scared to death of death. It's probably my biggest insecurity and I really can't imagine getting over it any time soon.

Often, while trying to sleep, I lay in the dark and think about death, eternity and it drives me nuts. Really. If I'm in a asylum in 20 years, that's why. I try to wrap my small brain around the idea of God, eternity and death (which could happen at any moment and it's so unfair that life should end just whenever). It's really maddening. I can't explain it. I don't know why I do it. I grew up learning about God and eternity, but the biggest question I ever had was why dinosaurs weren't included in the Bible. A question that was never properly explained, still, it didn't shake my faith.

Damn Bergman for that haunting shot, hundreds of yards away, of the company doing "death's dance."

Anyway, I might not buy "The Seventh Seal" after all.

No comments: