Wednesday, February 17, 2010

'Rushmore' & 'The Royal Tenenbaums'

Wes Anderson's "Rushmore" was the film I saw that, afterwards, I first knew that movies could be really, really well done.

They could be clever, well written, witty, special featuring interesting, well-developed characters and a story that would wilt like a flower in a Texas summer without the appropriate direction and attention to nuance of Anderson.

I remember I rented it as a senior (or just graduated) high schooler from Video Vision in Kaufman, Texas.

It blew me away.

Once "The Royal Tenenbaums" was in the works and released, I made a very stated point to watch it in the theaters and I've seen every Anderson film in the theaters since.

Both films have changed the way I've thought about Bill Murray and Gene Hackman, both of whom are otherworldly in their starring roles.

It's thoughtful film done right. Makes both rewatchable over and over.

No comments: