Thursday, February 4, 2010

'Woodstock'

I've never, ever been a fan of the general ethos, attitude and art of the hippie era that exploded on the United States in the late 1960s.

I personally consider this odd. I do love art. I generally like the 1960s. And I love music from the 1960s.

But as an avid fan of the greatest band in the history of music, The Beatles, I know as well as anyone that the Fab Four were not particularly involved in the hippie scene despite the fact that they were vegan, drug users, highly spiritual, long-haired tastemakers in the late-1960s, who held bed-ins for peace and wrote "All You Need Is Love."

However, they were so divorced from the whole scene. When Woodstock was organized, they were offered a spot but turned it down.

In fact, a lot of bands turned it down. In fact, other than Sly and the Family Stone, I have zero interest in the bands that played Woodstock.

However, I do not think it's a total coincidence that the Beatles, Stones, Bob Dylan, most R&B groups of the era and other big band of the day didn't play.

I'd like to think those bands/artists felt the same way I do about the hippie scene: That it's a bunch of spoiled, white, suburban college kids, who would've embraced fascism if it was antiestablishmentarian and involved ingesting copious amounts of drugs.

The hippie scene was bankrupt and I can't enjoy a documentary celebrating the vacancy of these people.

No comments: