Saturday, June 5, 2010

'Trust' & 'Stranger Than Paradise'

I coupled these two seemingly distant films because they are both highly-regarded early independent films. You know. Back when independent films just sucked.

I've got to be honest: I liked neither. But I get it. I get why they are important because without them, dudes like Kevin Smith don't exist. Then there are a million less gay Kevin Smith fans. And maybe Kevin Smith doesn't have the very real weight problem that no one's really willing to talk about.

Independent films are basically based on the idea that you can spend the least amount of money to tell a story. Now, these directors would like you think they're saying something by making movies where there is no real plot, so-so writing and these angry, disillusioned characters.

The reality is that they don't have the money to pay actual talented people to make or be in their films so they come off as such. It's a genre of convenience, at times.

No comments: