Friday, December 31, 2010

'Rain Man'

You know Rain Man is a 1980s film due to certain inclusions of ideal 1980s filmmaking.

There's the nostalgic use of a 30-year-old song ("At Last" by Etta James as Charlie teaches Raymond to dance). There's the scene where Charlie tests Raymond's ability to count cards. As Raymond impresses, they dash off in the 1950s Buick to Las Vegas as the playing cards on the car's rear end fly off in the dust. So 1980s!

There's the ridiculous suits. Tom Cruise. Sunglasses. The hot sports cars. Barf.

Did anyone else feel that Valeria Golino was going to the sexpot actress in Hollywood for years? After I saw her in Hot Shots, I thought I'd found my future wife. Then she disappeared and does Italian films now.

As I watched Dustin Hoffman (who is really, really good in this film) and Tom Cruise stand side by side, I wondered how they found someone taller than Cruise or how they made Cruise four inches taller than Hoffman. Then I remembered that Hoffman's like 5-5.

No comments: