Sunday, December 19, 2010

'(What's The Story) Morning Glory?'

Love this album. If you wanted to make a musical biography of my life, Morning Glory? has to be included.

I remember it well. It had released in late 1995 when I was still 15 years old and completely and utterly in love with everything to do with The Beatles. I couldn't get enough and the thought that a new band was as equally in love with them and doing kind of a generation-removed facsimile was right up my alley.

Then "Wonderwall" broke. How huge did it get? I remember having this friend, Shane, who had turned 16 already and was able to drive. So, he would always pick me up and we'd go into town and see what kind of trouble we could make. Mostly with girls.

Anyway, Shane and I were unusual playmates. Although we went to the same school, he was a meatheaded jock football guy. We went to the same school ... but we didn't hang out together outside of going into town and trying to make it with girls.

As our "groups" clashed, so did our taste in music most of the time. It didn't matter though. We just drove and drove and listened to pretty much whatever was popular. In the changer then was Notorious BIG's Ready to Die and Oasis' Morning Glory?, especially after "Wonderwall" hit American radio and absolutely blew up.

I listened to that song and that album probably 200 times between then and coming around to the next summer, when I turned 16 and I didn't need those rides much anymore.

To this day, I can sing every lyric no matter how little I listen to it today. It is by far one of the best records released in my lifetime, and I'm extremely proud to have helped make it that way. Maybe no other record means as much to me as this one.

No comments: