Thursday, April 14, 2011

'There's Something About Mary'

I wish I had some historical (relatively speaking, of course) context for There's Something About Mary.

I'm going to be honest, I don't remember what I thought this film was. I did not see it in theaters, which is odd. It was released the summer after I graduated high school.

At the time, I was flush with money and I went to an obscene amount of films. I must have thought this was a chick flick. I wasn't one to read reviews so if I made a very shallow evaluation about the film as being one thing, I never learned it was another. Therefore, I can't place it within the right context.

I do remember it being very popular and making a ton of money. Watching it now, I can't believe there was a comedy such as There's Something About Mary. I can't imagine there being a more irreverent film. Nor do I remember something with so much physical humor.

When Warren goes bananas and attacks Ben Stiller during hte prom scene it is an example of the funniest physical humor in quite a long time.

I also remember it being Cameron Diaz' coming-out party. At least for me, she was in The Mask in addition to some lower-budget films. However, I remember Diaz from There's Something About Mary.

Nowadays, I can't stand her. Does nothing for me. Then, she was one of the hottest women on the planet. With that little haircut and those little outfits. Cripes. She was gorgeous.

No comments: