Friday, October 12, 2012

'Beach Samba'


I just need to write about this son of a bitch and move on with my life. 
I’ve probably listened to this incredibly boring album about a dozen times because I always feel I’ve never listened to it. I’m sure is Astrud Gilberto read that sentence she might feel a little bad. Or she might could care less considering I’m some dope writing about her album anonymously on the Internet. Tell you the truth, I don’t blame her.
As I go through this project, I find that sometimes you’ve just got to do it: Watch or read or listen to whatever, digest it and write about it. I’m fairly certain I’ll never listen to Beach Samba ever again. Needless to say, if I do, it’ll be beyond my control. 
It doesn’t sound bad or anything. It’s sorta cool mood music. Like a score, it’s hard to really notice with all the action on screen. I often start this album, blink and it’s over. Of course, if it were any longer I’d go berserk. 
As a side note, Gilberto was married to guitarist João Gilberto. They divorced and she started getting involved with jazz Stan Getz and that more than soured whatever working relationship the three had. The Yoko Ono of jazz. 

No comments: