Monday, August 11, 2008

'Slow Train Coming'

Evangelical Christians love to claim Bob Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" as one of their own.

It was/is a victory to them: A secular artist finding God and singing about it.

I think Dylan did find God, but I don't think he was necessarily praising God or even worshipping God. Honestly, considering all the interviews I've read and listened to of Dylan, I can't imagine him being dedicated to anything, more or less thinking about one's soul or the afterlife. I don't think he believes in the cigarette hanging on his own lips.

The thing about Christianity and religion is that you don't have to believe to be religious and vice versa. Dylan is inherently soulful and spiritual. Had the album have Islamic or Buddhist overtones, Christians would be burning this record instead of celebrating the understanding, peace, love and reverence it shows.

No comments: