Thursday, July 16, 2009

'Face to Face' & 'Something Else ...' & 'Village Green' & 'Arthur'


I was a 13-year-old kid in a small southern country town that was madly in love with British music from the 1960s when I first purchased a double-disc greatest hits collection of The Kinks.

Most of this interest was based on previous affairs with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. The natural path was through the Kinks, Zombies and others.

And it failed. I maybe gave the two discs two listens and I never went back. For one reason or another they didn't hook me and I didn't give the Kinks, oddly enough, another thought until far into college and even then I didn't care that much.

Until about a year ago. More and more I would hear Kinks songs used in commercials and movies (mostly Wes Anderson, I suspect) and they clicked with me. Actually, I didn't know it was the Kinks 'til you jumped online and searched for it.

I'm the same way with food. There are things I'll eat today that I wouldn't even consider if I were starving as a kid or teenager. I guess I was picky. Both with food and music.

I don't know why certain things taste differently or sound better with age. It has to be scientific. Maybe there's some college or think tank that's done research about the chemistry behind changing tastes -- whether it's food or a book or record.

Right now, I can't get enough of the Kinks.

The most fascinating aspect of these four albums: They were released in four consecutive years, 1966-1969. They don't have the catalogue of the Beatles or Stones, but not a lot of bands have that kind of output in a four-year period.

No comments: