Monday, August 10, 2009

'Rebecca' & 'Rebecca'

Strangely, you can't get Alfred Hitchcock's "Rebecca" via Netflix. They've got every other movie in the world, but not an Academy Award winner from one of the most famed director's and producers of all time.

I think "Rebecca" both the book and film capture some great emotions and characters of all time. I love Maxim's aloofness and how detached he is (much more pronounced in the book), Mrs. De Winter's naivete and Danvers' deranged deceit.

What I miss regarding the movie is Favell being more of a bum (I got that from the book, maybe I'm wrong) and the crazy fire ending. Otherwise, I thought both efforts were very, very good.

It's interesting that the book was published in 1938 and the movie came out in 1940. Quick turnaround.

No comments: