Wednesday, August 12, 2009

'Red Headed Stranger'

I think this is an interesting album because it had only two "hits" and I would argue only "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" is the only decent single on the album. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that song anyway.

Nonetheless, it's a very good album and considered one of the best country albums of all time.

I think I like Nelson even more because his band has been the same group of ragtag musicians since his "outlaw" days instead of hiring hotshot young guys out of Nashville. It's genuine and broken. Perfect country music.

Willie Nelson holds a strange place in my heart. I was never a huge fan until around 2003, out of college and going to see Nelson at a concert at a horse race track. I was with friends and it's really the first time I connected with the woman that would be my wife. I remember me and her poking our way through the crowd to get within spitting distance of Nelson and his band. I'll never forget it.

No comments: