Thursday, January 14, 2010

'The Gilded Palace of Sin'

A scintillatingly awesome album. Definitely in my top 10 of all time and so good that I could probably listen to it over and over and over no matter what mood I'm in.

It captures everything that I love about music collectively over 29 years and thousands of hours listening to all genres of music since I was a kid getting my first Beach Boys cassette as a seven year old dork.

The fusion of soul with crisp, West Coast rock country. As salty and warm like the desert with the sweet dripping syrup of layered harmonies, master display of songmanship and the fantastic genius of Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons.

"The Gilded Palace of Sin" was created by a bunch of drugged-out, wine-swilling hippies from California for consumption by music fans and music fans alone. A glorious accomplishment.

No comments: