Wednesday, May 12, 2010

'Babes in Arms'

Ask me what celebrity I'd most enjoy punching square in the face, it'd be Mickey Rooney.

If that doesn't quite explain things: I flippin' hate Mickey Rooney.

He represents what I always find kind of gay about old Hollywood. The spunky, cute kid who appears really talented with the ability to sing, dance, play instruments and coordinate all this together for a big "show." Shows. That's what they used to have back in the days of Vaudeville. Shows. With singing and dancing. Everyone smiling and getting high of other people looking at you and clapping. It's has disgustingly narcissistic as you can possibly get. It's downright unhealthy.

"Babes in Arms" is the ultimate apex of this for Rooney. I would also cite James Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" for the same thing, but he'd probably punch me in the face before I had the opportunity to raise my eyes in his direction.

I guess I hate him because he was always walking around like there's a camera pointed at him. He was never real.

Rooney is just a pipsqueak. Always trying to prove something to somebody. Always in this goofy, aw-shucks predicaments. Always trying to balance his love the stage and for Judy Garland. I just wanted to kick him in his teeth. So cocky. Any one of those other guys should've just pounded him.

No comments: