Monday, May 31, 2010

'Pierrot Le Fou'

A recent movie that made a gigantic dent in how movies are made and viewed is Avatar.

I have not seen this movie to date. Eventually, I'm sure I will. I'm not looking forward to this. I just don't think you can go in and throw a ton of money into making something look good and let the story and characters fall off because of it.

It insults the intelligence of the viewer. And it insults the really good movies with good stories that never get any credit in the award circles or amongst the typical filmgoer.

Up is already six times the film Avatar is, and I haven't even seen the latter.

In the 1960s, filmmakers also made very visually appealing films. However, they didn't forego on the story and characters. Pierrot Le Fou fits this description.

A zany, Technicolor Bonnie and Clyde, set in the French countryside dealing with gangsters and large bags of money.

It was filmmaking at its absolute zenith in terms of creativity and not having to depend on a billion dollar budget in order to creative a box-office masterpiece.

I can not sit here and support Avatar when most haven't seen Pierrot Le Fou, Nights of Cabiria, La Strada or 400 Blows.

No comments: