Tuesday, May 18, 2010

'The Pianist'

The biggest problem I have with the film, The Pianist, is that him being a pianist, I think, doesn't play a big enough part of the film.

He's a pianist. Yes. But when he's struggling to survive the Nazi invasion of Poland, it feels like he might as well be a bricklayer or ditch digger.

I could be entirely wrong. It seems he was initially spared the trip to the extermination camp because he's such a national treasure. Then, when he plays for the Nazi officer, you get the feeling that his talent saved his life again.

So, screw me. Maybe him being a pianist was the whole basis of the film.

The situation -- hiding from Nazis, waiting it all out -- of how well you would survive?

I think the thing that would drive me crazy is the constantly sitting there and waiting with nothing to do. I'd still want someone to come by and bring me some books to read.

Furthermore, any time you hear the squeaky brakes of an army jeep stopping in front of your building wondering if they're coming for you.

Once the tanks roll in blowing shit up, I'd almost be tickled to see them trying to kill me.

Also, this is a Roman Polanski film. He won an Oscar for direction, but couldn't collect the award because he's wanted for raping a young girl 30 years ago.

No comments: