Tuesday, February 22, 2011

'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' & 'All Things Must Pass'

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band was the former Beatles' first album since the break-up of the band.

McCartney's McCartney was released in April 1970. George Harrison's All Things Must Pass in November 1970. And Lennon's in December 1970.

Lennon's and Harrison's were produced by famed nut Phil Spector, the man who went in and added a shitload of strings to the Beatles' swansong, Let it Be. Spector, among other things, was a prime source of contention between McCartney and the other Beatles.

If you took all three albums and turned them into one, some monster quadruple album, you might have the best Beatles record of all time. Certainly, all three were fantastic efforts and showed a sense of freedom and liberation. All three are included on the 1,001 list.

My fandom of the Beatles is no secret. I feel like I know them, their songs, their records and legacy better than anyone. It's like when my parents separated when I was 13. After all the fighting and bullshit, you were just happy they were apart. I kind of feel the same way about the Beatles. It's weird. There's so much apparent animosity in those later albums. Listening to their first solo records, you realize how miserable they were.

All Things Must Pass holds a special place in my heart. I remember my junior or senior year of college and hearing that George Harrison passed away. A group of friends and I basically wore this record out, drinking and spewing the lyrics of "My Sweet Lord" over and over. It's was a magical and spiritual night. Probably something Harrison would've wanted. Probably without the liquor though.

No comments: