Saturday, February 26, 2011

'Play'

Richard Melville Hall -- otherwise known as Moby -- had released four relatively unpopular and unnoteworthy albums before releasing his best-selling record, Play, in 1999.

Before that time, Moby was known to a very small percentage of people, most those that are into dance music and whatnot.

Naturally, he records a series of radio- and marketing-friendly songs and decides to fucking condescend to anyone who buys it.

In the liner notes for Play, he "publishes" a series of "essays" sharing his thoughts about certain socio-religious issues. Remember: Moby was a nobody at this point. He might as well been the man on the moon. But he thought it useful to share his thoughts.

My favorite is his "essay" on him being a vegan. Because we're all super fucking interested.

"Oftentimes when I meet someone they ask me why I'm a vegan (a vegan is someone who neither eats, wears, or uses animal products). Before I list the reasons why I've chosen to be a vegan let me say that I don't judge people who choose to eat meat. People make different choices for different reasons, and it is not my place to judge the choices that other people make. Just being alive is inevitably going to cause suffering. But anyway, here's why I'm a vegan."

Right after he informs us that people often ask him about his veganism, that he doesn't judge anyone and that our very existence causes suffering, he then notes just how fucking awesome he is that he's a vegan and then proceeds to judge anyone who is not a vegan.

The bottomline here is that Moby is a grandstanding piece of shit. A nobody with enough ego to think that everyone would really care what the author of "Southside" and countless songs for car commercials really feels about important social issues.

On top of that, his music sucks.

No comments: