Tuesday, June 7, 2011

'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots'

I never gave The Flaming Lips a chance. All this despite them peaking artistically as I was peaking aesthetically.

I remember this album coming out and the reason I have never listened to it before now is because Wayne Coyne -- lead singer, lead man -- seems like a smug prick. He's like 50 with that curly, unkempt hair and the vests and whatnot. I figured anyone as desperate to be cool like that can't possibly make good music. Then I've seen them live and they're surely obnoxious in person. All the people in costumes. Coynce in the big ball. Artsy-fartsy bullshit. Just play the songs.

I also always got The Flaming Lips mixed up with The Screaming Trees, a band I liked quite a bit as a teenager.

I've been wrong before. This is one of those times.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is the Lips' 10th album, which seems remarkable considering I can only name two. And its good. So, no hard feelings.

By a million miles, The Flaming Lips are the best band from Oklahoma, right? ("Do You Realize??" is the official state rock song.) I guess it's them, Hanson or Color Me Badd.

No comments: