Wednesday, June 29, 2011

'Zero Kelvin'

A lifestyle that has always appealed to me in theory is that of the lone frontiersman, of sorts.

I was always inspired by Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels, the ramblings, thoughts and religion of Kerouac's days as a forest fire lookout in North Cascades National Park. There, the lookout is forced to living in solitary atop a mountain in a cabin not only looking out for forest fires, but also caring for the area and attempting to survive with no one to talk to or anything for six months.

I would assume being a trapper in the 1920s in Greenland would be a lot like that. It's very appealing despite me being a semi-social person. I got to admit, being alone is something I look forward to. It's not that I just absolutely hate people, but I like the quiet. I like doing what I want to do with every second.

In Zero Kelvin, the characters are not on their own. Still, despite living in threes, there is still a giant chasm of lonelieness and desolation. This, despite this constant agitation between the characters and the woeful road the protagonist was starting down.

No comments: