Tuesday, July 2, 2013

'Dance Mania'


All I imagine are a bunch of white people awkwardly twisting their limbs as a stage full of the best mambo instrumentalists and Tito Puente are on stage.

Making fun of stuffy white people dancing aside, this is a fun, vibrant record. I really love the Latin sound (as previously noted) but I think from the mambo or Afro-Cuban sound, my favorite instrument is the piano. Jazz piano generally is one of the most fascinating. Rarely do I hear a jazz pianist who isn’t doing something totally unique.

The Latin piano is so rhythmic and such a backbone to the entire group, which you will hear if you pick up this album. Puente, of course, was a percussionist and the genius there is not lost.

Double thumbs up for putting attractive female on the album cover.

No comments: