Tuesday, May 12, 2009

'Dancer in the Dark'

I'm not a big fan of Bjork's music so I entered this film not expecting much. But I was overwhelming pleased with a film that is sticking with me the morning after.

This film has so many good qualities. Love the setting (1960s, Washington state) and the overall vibe of the film.

Bjork's great. So good that it's slightly surprising that she hasn't done more acting (whether that it's her choice or the choice of the filmmaker). She nails the performance and by the end of the film, at the gallows, I believe that, for all intents and purposes, that she can't see.

I also love how the musical genre was worked in. I like musicals, but I also understand why a lot of people hate musicals. Movies are unrealistic anyway. Have people suddenly jumping up to sing and dance and you're throwing all conventions out of the window.

The running theme through most musicals is the idea of happiness, hope or love. "Dancer in the Dark" is a musical that has none of the three. There's no love. All happiness is found in these make-believe song and dance routines and hope drowns once Bjork's character realizes that she can not win the deceit that takes place no matter how truthful she is.

It's a haunting movie that sticks in your crawl.

No comments: