Thursday, December 3, 2009

'Dance, Girl, Dance'

Lucille Ball.

For a majority of people my age and maybe a little older, she's the crazy, whiney redhead from "I Love Lucy."

Ironically, the main theme of the show is that she's married to a Cuban band leader and she undertakes numerous humorous schemes to somehow break in show business, to the chagrin of her husband.

Thinking back, and I may be wrong, Ricky Ricardo never gives his wife, Lucy, a reason as to why he doesn't want her to A) be in show business or B) be in his show.

We assume it's because she's not talented. But it's never specifically noted.

The truth is that Ball was incredibly talented and had quite a career before "I Love Lucy" in the early 1950s. In "Dance, Girl, Dance," all she does is dance, sing and put on a show. In "I Love Lucy," her husband never let her have that shot. Bubbles would've never put up with that.

Another interesting note is that this film came out in 1940, a full decade before she hit the upper echelon of show business in TV. She was 29 years old in 1940, which means she was 40 when "I Love Lucy" was made and even older when she had her first kid (1953, I think).

Ball was incredibly old. Born in 1911, she was six years older than Desi Arnaz. It also means that in the 1970s when she was doing all those "Lucy" shows she was into her 60s. Quite a lady.

No comments: