Wednesday, December 23, 2009

'Funeral'

I thought it was really great in 2005. Today, I think this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. It's probably definitely one of the best of the last decade.

I think it stems from watching the Arcade Fire live. It was surreal experience mainly because I've always wanted to categorize something as "surreal" and also because I never listened to "Funeral" or the Fire's follow-up, Neon Bible, as high-energy, face-burners that made me want to swing around a room like a pencostal preacher.

Seeing them live makes you realize what kind of energy the band exudes and after re-listening -- about another dozen times the last three months -- to "Funeral" I realize the energy was always there, but it needed to be place in some context that I could actualize that energy and tap into it.

One of my favorite all-time records.

No comments: