Friday, December 4, 2009

'The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test'

Never in my life has there been a record, book or film that had a bigger gap from the minute I wanted to read it until I actually read it.

I had heard about Tom Wolfe's recollection of the Merry Pranksters when I was 16 and reading Jack Kerouac. It took about 13 years of looking for a copy of "Kool-Aid Test" (see: cheap) until I eventually found one.

I don't think much of Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary or the Merry Pranksters. I do, however, like the idea that LSD was like an evolution, so to speak, of the human mind. As if, the mind had come to a plateau and LSD was the next step to reach some other pantheon of thought and existence. However noble this sounds, when everything turned into an orgy and slackfest, it lost any real credence. Getting high wasn't about reaching some other plane of conciousness, but sitting around and partying.

No comments: