Saturday, July 23, 2011

'Doggystyle'

I listened to Snoop Doggy Dogg's debut album for the first time in about 15 years and I swear that it sounded as fresh and cool and funky as the day I first saw the the music video for "Who Am I (What's My Name)?"

Outside of the vernacular, nothing dates it outside of maybe the G Funk bass that seemingly defined so much of 1990s hip-hop. Still, the sound itself is as fresh as it can possibly get.

I've not quit playing it over and over the past two weeks and I doubt it'll stop for another couple until I get this all out of my system.

Takes me back though. NWA and all that I never got. Dr. Dre and Snoop are guys I could wrap my rural, white brain around. Completely unaware of what "indo" was, how you made a gin and juice and ... well, the sexual innuendo was like Greek.

However, there's little denying that no one's ever quite made a debut like Snoop and we'd be hard pressed to find another in the future.

No comments: