Monday, March 29, 2010

'Exodus'

I used to hate reggae. Now I don't thanks to Bob Marley's "Exodus."

No, this album didn't turn me into a lover of the genre. I don't hate reggae anymore. I just don't feel anything for it. Which, actually, may be a lot more demeaning than actually hating it.

I find the music pointless. There's no real hooks and the song never goes anywhere. It's sophomoric, at best.

It's not necessarily bad in the same way that Creed is bad. It doesn't sound bad. The lyrics are overly appalling. The musicianship is, at the very least, efficient.

Reggae isn't bad and it isn't good the same way that elevator music or a score in a film isn't good or bad. It's filler. You want to smoke a bowl full of weed? You need to study for a mid-term? Need something humming in the background while you do something else?

Listen to reggae. It doesn't interfere or overwhelm. Yet, it doesn't impress.

What does impress? Thirteen rumored children to nine rumored women. Bobby!

No comments: