Friday, March 26, 2010

'Wish You Were Here'

One of my best friends I've ever had was a gigantic fan of Pink Floyd.

The initial reaction would be to assume that my friend was a hippie stoner. Instead, he was the straightest of straight laces. He was a Jehovah's Witness. I'd known him basically our entire school lives. I remember him leaving the classroom during holiday celebrations and not putting his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance.

About the same time, in junior high or high school, we both started playing guitar. He got really good really quick. We both drooled over catalogs with equipment and guitars.

I don't know his appeal for Pink Floyd other than the fact that he was a bit eccentric (see: Roger Waters, Syd Barrett) and his father (at a younger age) resembled guitarist David Gilmour.

Later, we would bring guitars to school and play "Wish You Were Here." Me playing the rhythm part and him the lead.

I think my friend who I haven't tried to contact in seven years. I think about playing guitars. But I also remember freshman year of high school. A bunch of us were in a goof-off health class. We sat at large tables, two kids to each table. Normally, we'd sit at the same table. One day I went to sit at another table, behind my friend.

He just sat and looked forward the entire time. I still feel bad about abandoning him, even if it was for one day. I'll never listen to "Wish You Were Here" without all this rushing back to me.

No comments: