Friday, March 26, 2010

'Led Zeppelin II' & 'Led Zeppelin IV'

Pound for pound, "II" was one of the damndest albums I'd ever heard at the tender age of 15 when I first heard it.

It wasn't the heaviest thing I'd ever heard. Nor, the most melodic. It wasn't the most anything.

It was just good. Robert Plant is exceptional. The rhythm section superb as would be expected. And the riffs from Jimmy Page were what 15-year-old boys dreamt of in their sleep. It was Mississippi Delta blues reshuffled and distorted up. Wrapped up in a package that echoed with young men wanting to rage, get pissed without joining the mosh pit.

With age, "IV" has evolved into the clearer favorite. "Misty Mountain Hop" is my favorite Zep song ever. "Battle of Evermore" are lush and edges on Appalachia more than it does concert arenas around the world.

At 15, I wanted to "Ramble On." Now, I just want to go to California.

No comments: