Wednesday, March 3, 2010

'Tuesday Night Music Club'

My parents initially split up when I was 13 years old. They subsequently reunited (for the kid, of course), which didn't last long. They eventually split again, for good this time.

Obviously, given my age, this was very tumultuous. It was probably a lot more tumultuous then I actually remember it being. If someone asked me now to talk to their kid about divorce and how to cope, I'd slap the kid on the back and say, "You'll get over it."

Once they got divorced, a weekly ritual included my mother picking me up from my father's house on Wednesday afternoons, when I'd stay at her house before going to church that evening.

Every week, we'd go to Taco Bell (at the time, it was brand new and the first ever Mexican fast food I'd ever had ... and it was more than delicious) and then to her house where I'd watch Nickelodeon or, more likely, MTV, a station that was not available through my father's satellite.

In 1993, that same year, an unknown hot piece of ass, Sheryl Crow, released her debut, "Tuesday Night Music Club." This is seminal because she was by the far the hottest musician/musical artist I'd ever seen and "All I Wanna Do" was a really cool song.

That album spawned four other hits and four other music videos. I'd practically listened to the album (at least the best songs) on TV. If I made an anthology of my life, Crow's "Tuesday Night Music Club" would represent this time period.

Listening to it now is boring. It's extremely adult contemporary at times. I don't even really remember ever listening to "Run, Baby, Run," "We Do What We Can" and "I Shall Believe."

"The Na-Na Song" is interesting only because it was another chapter in the upbeat pop song where the lyrics are hodgepodged together with pop culture references and delivered in a hurried, break-neck fashion. Much like Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire" and REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It." These songs, I do not like.

"All I Wanna Do" is still listenable. The lyrics aren't as good. But the music is really good. The bass and drums lay down a perfect backbeat. The steel guitar is beautiful and that little electric guitar riff just before the chorus is simply divine.

No comments: