Saturday, March 13, 2010

'Parklife'

When I was about 13 or so, I spent an entire summer basically at home all day. It was by far the most mundane three months of my life.

My daily routine included waking up at 11 a.m., eating waffles and watching the little-known music video cable station, The Box. At the time, my father just had the huge satellite disk, the type that killed Cincinnati Red catcher Bo Diaz. We did not get MTV or VH1.

The Box played a series of unpopular rock and hip-hop artists mixed in with an irregular hodepodge of actually popular artists. Most notably "Regulate" by Warren G. All-time jam of the century.

While I enjoyed The Box, I'd spend the rest of the day on the phone with friends. As they all had The Box, we'd make snide comments. Eight hours of this shit.

A popular selection was "Girls and Boys" from their album, Parklife.

That $2 video. That Euro club bassline and beat. A young, skinny Damon Albarn hopping around.
Little did I know that the remaining album was a bunch of catchy BritPop and would release another two albums of the same. "Girls and Boys" is the least Blur single in all of Blur's releasing of singles.

Still, no single album or any single released in music could ever evoke such bored memories than that stinkin' summer in the early 1990s.

No comments: