Monday, April 26, 2010

'Who Killed ... The Zutons?'

I own this album. I've listened to it twice before I broke it out this last week. Since, I've listened to it about six times.

I don't quite remember getting this album. I would doubt it's a gift. Chances are, I read a good review of the album, considered it and probably purchased it at a large box store (probably Target as I was living across the street from one in 2004) for an insanely low price so I took a big chance at the high school dance.

I remember giving it the initial listen and was completely put off by the first song (one I still think is their weakest) that I never really gave the album much of a shot.

Listening to it now, it's good. I wouldn't know how to describe. At times it's new wavey. The first song still reminds me of some 1960s surf music. Otherwise, it's a pretty straight forward album and almost country-ish with the steel guitar added late on the album. I can hear their clear 1980s influence, but there's something else in there. Maybe some 1960s British music.

No comments: