Tuesday, August 2, 2011

'Masculin Feminin' & 'Two Or Three Things I Know About Her'

Two of the eight Jean-Luc Godard films included on the list of 1,001 list. I've seen seven. I think.
I would ask how in the world Godard wound up getting all of these attractive young French women to be in his films, but I already know the answer. I would imagine it didn't take much for Godard to get just about any fashionable young woman to do just about anything. Which sort of makes me want to become a French filmmaker.

Two or Three Things I Know About Her is about a French housewife, who doubles as a prostitute on the side. There's little story and as intriguing as the plot may sound, it's only as sexy as your imagination can go eyeing all the gorgeous women Godard's camera tends to run into on the street, in stores or just hanging about.

Masculin Feminin is based on short stories by Guy de Maupassant and stars the breathtakingly beautiful Chantel Goya as a pop singer (a tough gig), who reluctantly dates this perturbed young man just out of his military service.

These two films have similiar themes and looks. They were also made within several years of each other and feature these beautiful women. I don't know if they're masterpieces, but you'd be increasingly hard pressed to find any better looking films.

No comments: