Monday, August 1, 2011

'Midnight Cowboy'

If I explained to you the plot of the film Midnight Cowboy, you'd probably laugh in my face.

A handsome Texan, who is not a "cowboy," dresses like a cowboy and takes a bus without any real provocation (but with a ton of skeletons in the closet) to become a high-priced gigolo in New York City.

He is duped out of some cash by a homeless drifter, who he eventually meets again and the pair form a relationship out of loneliness and desperation. They eventually decide to go to Florida to help with the friend's sickness. The friend dies on the bus going south.

In between, we get some unexplained flashbacks, Jon Voight becoming a male hooker and everyone's morals are in a tizzy.

I don't think too much about this film, but I also don't think it's all that great. I think Voight and Dustin Hoffman, individually, are good. The film itself ... lacks.

I guess the next time you see a homeless man or woman and you wonder what life decisions were made (or not made) that put them in that position, think about this film. At some point, there was a huge risk taken and it backfired. Or they became crackheads. And then became male hookers.

No comments: