Monday, April 15, 2013

'The Decalogue' & 'The Double Life of Veronique'

A set of 10 short films originally produced for Polish TV. Each is loosely set around one of the 10 Commandments from the Old Testament.

Extraordinary for TV, the series was hailed as the only masterpiece by Stanley Kubrick in his lifetime. Although very good, I don't know if I can go that far, but Kubrick would know much more than I would.

Two of the films -- Nos. 5 and 6 -- were later expanded into full-length features. Eight of the 10 feature actor Artur Barciś  playing an unnamed role. The theory is that he supposed to be some supernatural character keeping tabs on the Earth-dwellers and their moral dilemmas. Also, have feature milk in some part of the plot. I don't know what that means other than a reference to the "land of milk and honey," which the Jews of the Old Testament were seeking with Moses and Abraham.

The Double Life of Veronique and The Decalogue were both directed by the great Polish director Krzysztof KieślowskiThe Double Life of Veronique. I don't honestly remember much of it. I'm sure I was seriously impressed at the time.


No comments: