Wednesday, October 15, 2008

'Automatic for the People'

If I were in REM, I would've had them put a comma after "automatic." Like, "Automatic, for the People." That's just me.

It's good. It's also music for older people. There's tons of music that appeal to adults. But with rock music it tends to transcend age, income, ethnicity, sex and all the other demographics you can think of. Unless it's Neo-Nazi metal or whatever.

Look at punk. Punk, over time, started to appeal to the surburban or black kid as much as it did the snotty English gutter punk looking for a fix.

Not REM. It is hardcore 18 and up. I was 12 when this album came out and I had no interest in it. It requires a certain taste and patience. An understanding. None of which a 12 year old has that he or she can't find in the Beach Boys or Boyz II Men.

No comments: