Tuesday, October 28, 2008

'Journey to the Center of the Earth'

I'm a sucker for dinosaurs and pre-historic animals.

Otherwise, this was a pretty dumb story. I'm willing to suspend any notion of reality, in terms that an entire world (atmosphere and all) could exist beneath the crust of the Earth.

I just find the storytelling off putting. For one, there's an entire sequence that's a dream -- a tribe of apes kill a giant crocodile monster. All this time and it's a dream. Why not make it real? What's the point? I mean, it's fantasy to begin with why feel the need to make one sequence a dream? Was the idea of apes bashing int the skull of a giant croc with dinosaur bones just too unbelievable?

Then the story ends with the three adventurers surviving a volcanic eruption (them, in a wood raft being themselves spewed out of a volcano with magma and shit) and making it back and the only real mystery and question that they have is why the compass screwed up. Seriously? My biggest question would've been, "How the hell did I just survive being erupted out of a live volcano in Italy?"

No comments: