Friday, October 31, 2008

'Blur'

When I was about 13 or 14 years old, I always watched The Box. It was a satellite cable channel which showed all music videos (no veejays or personalities that I remember) based on viewers calling in and paying money to request music videos.
It was the anti-MTV even for the time. Not only was it music driven but they played a ton of artists that a dumb, pre-teen me would never have noticed.

Including Blur. It was the video for "Boys and Girls" from the Parklife album that initially caught interest because it was basically about sex (I think) and at 14 I was into, at least, the thought of sex. Plus, it was pretty catchy.

I also thought it was what gay people listened to.

Not that Blur went away after that but their next big impact on my life is when Blur was released and that annoying "Song 2" came out. Everyone was into it and all I could think about was the semi-gay video for "Boys and Girls" with its electronic cacophony.

No comments: