Friday, July 2, 2010

'The Hissing Of Summer Lawns' & 'Heijra'

Some time in the mid-1970s, Joni Mitchell made a bold decision that would forever change the trajectory of her career.

She went jazz. She released these two albums completely turning her back on the folk sound that put her on the map.

I don't know if these albums necessarily hurt her career (in album sales, or general popularity). I konw they sold pretty well, but did she lose fans by really changing things around? I don't know.

I do know that she lost me. Granted, the threshold for me to keep listening to Joni Mitchell is low. Blue I like. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

So, when she went all jazzy with those jazz basslines, horns and keyboards, I checked out mentally.

It is worth noting that Heijra was written as she drove by herself from Maine to California.

No comments: