Saturday, July 31, 2010

'Planet of the Apes'

If I were an 18-year-old kid in 1968, there is little doubt that I would've seen Planet of the Apes at least four times in the theatre and another 1,000 times until my dying day.

Planet of the Apes is simply a good film. It's story driven, no doubt. The astronauts going on a "six-month" expedition into deep space, landing on a planet not realizing that actually thousands of years have passed. And this foreign planet is actually Earth ... taken over by talking apes.

If I'd read that paragraph to Mozart, Napoleon, Charles Dickens, Frank Roosevelt or Butch Cassidy, they would have all agreed that that was a kickass plot.

Throw in the preach-y sci fi, the make-up and Charlton Heston simply unable to leave a small ape village, and you've got a really good film that holds up quite well in 42 years.

That would make my hypothetical self 60. Man, I'm hypothetically old.

No comments: