Friday, May 3, 2013

'Welcome to the Pleasuredome'



Frankie Goes To Hollywood is probably the most homosexual band in the history of recorded music and I write that in the most sensitive context possible.

When I say “homosexual” I’m not referring to, necessarily, sex or sexual orientation, but more so the culture behind both. Like it or not, homosexual culture has been much more of a trendsetter and – I would think – a positive influence on culture in general.

I certainly don’t intend my opening thought to be demeaning to the band or to gay and lesbian culture. I guess the idea is that Frankie … purports stereotypes, which would be correct if only two of the five guys in the band were gay. Otherwise, they just like teased hair, S&M and leather. And isn’t that the best way to beat down a stereotype, to attach that stereotype to what is perceived as the norm?

Or I’m a homophobe. Either way, I stand by it.

The band, oddly, released just two studio albums. “Relax” and “Welcome to the Pleasuredome” being their most popular singles, although “Relax” was exponentially more popular.

“Relax” was actually banned in the United Kingdom by the BBC after a disc jockey saw the controversial, S&M-laden album art and heard the overtly sexual lyrics. The video, too, was a confusing hodgepodge of sexual references.

Despite the Beeb shutting it down, the single still went to No. 1 in the United Kingdom and Canada. Although I have a feeling it … turned off American audiences as it peaked at No. 48. It was the second most popular single in the UK that year despite it all.

No comments: