Friday, December 12, 2008

'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari'

A pretty fucked up movie, to say the least.

In this little project, it's interesting to think that of all other art forms, film is the one that we understand and know its origins. For all intents and purposes, we can see the complete and total evolution of film from its infancy to current day.
You can not say the same for books, music, sculpture or painting.

Needless to say, had I been a 12 year old in 1920 and I saw this film, a newbie to film, I would've wet myself watching this film. Between the grainy black and white production, the fade outs and the creepy imagery, it would scare the stink off a homeless person. Moreso, there's something grotesque about the entire affair. Whether it's the make-up or the fact that it's German. Extremely German.
I wonder what a youngish Adolf Hitler thought about the film?

No comments: